Thursday, January 28, 2010

Weektime Romance

This evening I needed some me time. Just me, myself, and I. This afternoon I had plans to meet up with a few good friends for TLC's filming of America Eats at Gordough's trailer. Unfortunately, Justinbustin was home sick this afternoon and so I didn't go. Unfortunately they didn't end up going either! Fortunately, by pure chance this evening I came across a comment about a new foodie place here in Austin, called Odd Duck. All the foodie bloggers in Austin have been raving over it, and hearing about it tonight was the last straw for me.
I had to try it! I asked the girl who made the comment where it was and she said down on South Lamar across from Alamo Drafthouse and Maudie's TexMex, in the same lot as Gordough's. Seriously?! How could it get any better? Well, it could.

When I reached the parking lot where these three foodie trailers are, I was blown away by the incredible environment they had created in a cold parking lot.
A thick layer of white rock gravel covered the seating area of black wrought iron tables and chairs, mixed with fun rectangular white tables and wooden chairs, strung lights surrounded the area giving the appearance of a romantic courtyard of sorts, and a fire pit, quiet for the moment, sat ready to give warmth if needed in the middle.
In the corner sat a lone guitarist singing. Apparently he was just a friend of the owners of Gourdough's playing his guitar and singing for the evening.
I hope he becomes a regular. I did look for a tip jar for him, but none was to be found.

My first stop was Odd Duck, because, well, they were my goal in coming there.
Their delicious sounding menu had prices that belied the gourmetness of their food.
I was impressed. I haven't seen prices for food of this culinary quality and creativeness since, Soif, my favorite wine bar in Santa Cruz, Cali. I ordered the grilled broccoli with feta on foccacia, and the sweet potato puree with pecans and parmesan.
My total cost? $6 including tax. These people know how to get it done. The broccoli with feta on foccacia was perfectly lightly grilled and seasoned, the feta perfectly creamy, there was a smidge of creamy sauce as well - reminded me of an avocado type of dressing, along with a few sprigs of greens, and, adding a perfect counterbalance of tang, a few small slices of citrus.
The combination was utterly mouth-watering. The sweet potato puree with pecans and parmesan was perfectly sweetened without becoming sugary, the parmesan freshly shaved and piled softly on top, the pecans slightly sweetened but mostly plain.
And, oh my word, delicious. I literally wanted to lick the plate clean. If there had been someone there to vouch for my saneness in case people started to look at me funny, I just might have. Odd Duck, I WILL be back. Often. And I can't wait to take Brando!

While those two dishes alone filled me up so much I barely had room for more, I was determined to finish out the night.

My next stop was Gourdough's for their delicious calorie laden specialties.
Not a huge fan of donuts in the first place, I skipped the overly fatty sounding bacon laden donuts, and went for the more traditional, well as traditional as Gourdough's can be, Dirty Berry with grilled strawberries, and the Naughty & Nice with cinnamon and sugar. I crossed my fingers they would only call out my name when the order was ready and not the names of what I ordered.
Because that would've sounded like I was at another kind of store. Any way, *ahem*, after ordering my donuts I walked over to the source of my knowledge of the location of Odd Duck, Austin Brevita, to try their drinks.
I didn't see Cafe Au Lait on the menu, but the owner was more than willing to make me one. Sadly, I realized drinking coffee at 7pm at night was probably not the smartest idea, so I opted for an Oregon Chai with soymilk instead. When I asked him if he had soymilk his quick answer was yes, they have seven kinds of milk. It didn't process until I walked away, but seven kinds of milk? My mind wonders what they all are. Will have to find out next time I stop by. Enjoying my oregon chai, I waited patiently for my donuts. When they were finally ready I sat down at Odd Duck's bar on their modern wooden barstools and watched the chef of Odd Duck. His bottle of olive oil, bottle of vinegar, fresh radishes, and fresh leaves of some type sitting on the counter made me feel like I was observing a cooking show while I ate my Gourdough's concoction.
Honestly, the strawberries on my Dirty Berry didn't taste grilled at all, just a little warm, and the fudge tasted like chocolate sauce, but the donut itself. Oh. my. word.
Totally not any sort of normal donut. It was a spongey, doughy, soft french bread like texture, perfectly sweet but not sickeningly sweet like most donuts, creation. I could've eaten ten of these things. In one sitting. Fortunately for the sake of not completely sabotaging my recent detox plan I refrained from continuing after four bites and have saved the rest for a week or two long treat. Mmm. The Naughty & Nice was for Shawners and has yet to be eaten, but it looks oh so yummy with the perfect coating of cinnamon and sugar.
The atmosphere of the little space Odd Duck, Gordough's, and Austin Brevita occupies is mind boggling romantic and I can't wait to take Brando back for a weekend date. Oh, I'll go with the girls, too.
But it's just too romantic not to take Brando at some point. Very soon.

3 Comments:

Kiley said...

Yay! Love all the pics. It's a great area! I need to go back soon and try everything. I really wanted to try something from Odd Duck...like the quesadillas or soup.

Daniela said...

awesome! :)
i totally ordered the grilled broccoli dish too! i took it home to have as a dinner after my dessert. odd duck is really yummy, can't wait to go back!

Pink Sun Drops said...

Kiley - I can't wait to go back. I love their changing menu idea. Shall we make a date to go next week?

Dani - Great taste buds think alike : ) .

- Wish I spoke Chinese so I could read that...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...