Sunday, December 13, 2009

Snack Bar with Mai

Mai has been wanting to try the new Snack Bar diner on South Congress. So on Friday to celebrate finals being over AND (double yay!) Mai being back in town we went for breakfast!! Do excuse the just woke up look - that's exactly what we did. What a cute place!
We had so much fun chatting I neglected to take pictures of the inside, so I will save that for next time. But we had an awesome time admiring the easy going but modern, dim lit atmosphere, and choosing from the delicious sounding menu. It's been awhile since I've stepped foot in a vegan and vegetarian inspired cafe. This is probably because the first experience I ever had at one was bland, boring, rabbit food sounding food. Fortunately, this place was the complete opposite. Their menu sounded yummy,
and most of their food lived up to it. Mai ordered the Biscuits with Vegan Tempeh Gravy.
Unfortunately this was a little bland. She immediately reached for the salt and pepper. Her accompanying Veggie Hash Cake tasted a little onioney. Not mind blowing, but not bad. On the other hand my Mini Belgian Waffles were delicious!
The apple chutney I ordered them with was so flavorful with spices, like a winter holiday in a bite.
The coffee is roasted from Owl Tree Roasting here in Austin, Texas, and was smooth as silk with that perfect rich coffee taste without any bitterness. My side of sage pork sausage was also delicious.
Nothing extra special about it, but easily palatable. Overall, I would eat there again (I think Mai would, too!), especially for the cute little atmosphere, and definitely in hopes of finding that one thing to crave that would make me have to go back. Although, the apple chutney and coffee pretty much made that list, especially since my mouth is watering right now just thinking about it.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh I LOVE this post!! I hope you do more like it. Enjoy your break sweetie! xoxo, GFF

L said...

I accidentally tried out a vegetarian place in Miami last month. Everything sounded so tasty that someone had to point out to me that there wasn't any meat on the menu! We all loved our dishes. Maybe next time you go back, you'll find more you love.

That Chelsea Girl™ said...

That looks so great! Yum.

Pink Sun Drops said...

GFF, these are my favorite kind of posts to do! They are more time consuming though and involve me actually having time to go out to events or new places and actually having the energy to take the pictures : ) . Yay for winter break!

L, Good point! Now I will try something new next time I go back, and stick with the coffee as my craving : ) .

Chelsea, It was delish. You should try it!

Austin Eavesdropper said...

What a seriously beautiful couple.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...