Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Gorgeousness that is a true Farmers' Market in Texas

Who knew Cedar Park would be the first one in all of Austin where I would see something that actually resembles a REAL Farmers' Market? One that actually has tables laden with colorful vegetables, flowers, fruit, and music. Don't get me wrong, there is a particular little Farmers' Market in East Austin that I ADORE and have yet to post on. However, it is missing the quintessential ingredient for a farmers' market that I so loved about California: loads of produce. Cedar Park Farms to Market has this aspect down spot on.

Enjoy the splash of colors and pray that they find a spot soon, as 1890 Ranch shopping area has kicked them out of their parking lot (intimidated by their 3000 visitors on the first day much? Too bad those same clients also patronized their stores and no longer will when the market has to move elsewhere). I'm thinking Cedar Park Event Center would be absolutely perfect!


Sweets from Sweetish Hill Bakery are the perfect way to start off a farmers' market morning, even better when you can grab it straight from the Farmers' Market itself
along with a fresh baked loaf of sprouted wheat bread.

How beautiful are those green onions!

Herbs and flowers - unfortunately, the name of the booth slipped by me

I wasn't even sure Texas was capable of producing this much variety and color of produce. From the adorable family at Two Happy Children Farm in Taylor, Texas.

Liberty Oak Farms produce-rich tables
and they have a horse farm in Liberty Hill as well. How fabulous!

The nectar of many local Austinites - Round Rock Honey

My precious little man and I having a Mommy and Shawners day.
He adores marigolds, so of course we had to get some of the gorgeous ones they had - wish I had taken better notes of the different business names as I missed this one as well!

Hairston Creek Farms and their beautiful red organic strawberries from Bertram, Texas
Tecolote Farm's abundance of organic goodness from Manor, Texas

After all of that beauty, of course I couldn't resist spending on all the pretty things. We came home bearing bundles of cucumbers, tomatoes, kale, sprouted wheat bread, cinnamon rolls, bear claws, and marigolds, to plant the marigolds in our potted garden and enjoy a delicious cucumber, tomato, olive oil, red wine vinegar, and herb salad that evening.

Update on April 30, 2011: They found a new location in the Lakeline Mall parking area! Though I have yet to visit their new location, I really cannot wait. They seem to have only gotten bigger and better since I last posted this.

12 Comments:

linda said...

I'm a healthy food/salad neophyte. This post is inspiring :) One day...

ashley-cita said...

It looks like a great farmer's market. I'll have to check it out soon!

Anonymous said...

LOVE!!! xo, GFF

Mrs. Architect said...

YUM! This makes me want to hit up our farmers market!! ...which I've yet to ever do!

Nunzio Bruno said...

Great post..not gonna lie, im kind of glad I stumbled over your blog via twitter. :) it def makes me want to look for local farmers markets where I am..only now I have this crazy idea of what they should look like.

zenisin said...

What a great way to spend the day. My daughter and I did the same thing on Sunday at our Farmers Market in Encinitas! ;-) Angie

Marisa said...

I LOVE this! Have to go soon!

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

Thanks for visiting! I love going to farmers markets and getting fresh veggies. I have been doing my best to buy locally and organic. xx

That Chelsea Girl™ said...

This post made me SO hungry! Great fun.

Anonymous said...

This seems like therapy!!! I can almost smell the smells and feel the weather! :)

-Nahl

Hannah said...

What I wouldn't give for something like that here. What gorgeous pictures! Now I'm in the mood for a salad . . .

Pink Sun Drops said...

Linda - So am I. Buying the ingredients is what keeps me from doing it, but if I got my booty over here every week it would be a treat instead of a chore!

Ashley - Let me know when you go. I'd love to meet up with you there!

GFF - Sounds like your new place may have something similar to this. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Goldilocks - This one, with all the produce, was totally different from any others I've seen in Texas. Hopefully Dallas has a similar one!

Nunzio - Thanks for stopping by! Before my discovery of this market, I had to let go of my expectations of produce-laden tables and just enjoy the localness of each booth at normal Texas farmers' markets. Perhaps if you go with that expectation you will enjoy whatever you find.

Zen - Ooooh, I bet the farmers' market in Encinitas is INCREDIBLE. Maybe I will have to make that a stop on my California road trip ; ) .

Marisa - Like Ashley, let me know if you go. I'd love company!!

Tide - Likewise! I try to buy local and organic as well. Sometimes the budget keeps me from doing as much as I'd like though.

Chelsea - Me, too : ) . I love making posts where I'm starving by the time I'm done writing it.

Nahl - Absolutely. That's exactly what it was - especially with the morning breeze being the perfect amount of cool.

Hannah - I'm sure you make fabulous salads with all your cooking : ) .

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...