Thursday, September 01, 2005

So Many

So many thoughts are running through my head. How many posts do I have that start out that way? Oh well.

Last night Hubby and I had an amazing date. Wonderful, fun, cultured, and sweet. We restaurant-hopped from Soif, to the El Palomar Taco Bar, to Cafe Limelight. We started out with Roasted Baby Beet Salad with Chevril, Fried Eggplant with Manchego Cheese, Figs wrapped in Pancetta, and a Lemonade Cooler at Soif. Feeling satisfactorily unstarving we moved on to the main course of a shared chicken quesadilla with pico de gallo, guacomole, and sour cream, at the El Palomar Taco Bar. Not to be without the wining and dining, I also enjoyed a margarita on the rocks, extra salt. After a short walk to the end of downtown we stopped at our favorite recent discovery, Cafe Limelight, for a cheese plate with Brie, Gouda, and Manchego. A Hefeweizen for Hubby and finished it all off with a root beer float for me, and a New York Cheesecake for him. Not once did the conversation stop, it flowed from restaurant to restaurant, with a small amount of open air in between. It was a romantic, peaceful, and delightful evening. I told Hubby this is what they are doing in the big cities downtowns, going from restaurant to restaurant for small appetizers, just to get a flavor of everything. Some restaurants are even catering to it, such as Soif, by offering small plates, separate from the appetizers and main courses. After just doing Santa Cruz's small but charming downtown I can tell you it was a delight and something to be savored and done again and again.

This morning Big Guy and I built a log ride (click around for some more fun pictures on that page) out of Duplo Legos this morning. It was a brainstorm of genuis and creativity mostly on his part. I supplied the concept of the conveyor built to get the log (a BG made raft out of castle pieces) up the ramp and he came up with the ideas for the rest. Five or six changes later we came up with a very satisfactory version of the Log Ride at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The only thing that would have made it better was water for it to splash into and we'll work on that tomorrow.

On the other hand all these happy thoughts and we see New Orleans on the news last night. People wading in three of four feet of filthy water. People trapped literally in the rooftops of their house. People floating in water, waving to the news cameras, signaling for help. Children and babies. My prayers and my heart goes out to them. How sad and how horrible that such a thing could happen.

9 Comments:

Adrianne said...

I hear ya Pink...I fond myself enjoying something or looking forward to something and then this pervading guilt comes over me. My heart aches for the people down on the Gulf...
As I always do, loved reading your post...time with hubby and your kids is always a good read for me!
Have a great weekend - happy Labor Day!! xoxox

Alyssa said...

That sounds like a great date! I love getting away for a date night. That restaurant skipping sounds like a great idea. I'll have to keep that in mind for the next time we get a free night (no where in the near future) but that is a whole other blog. It is so scary what is going on in Mississippi, and the effects that it is going to have on the rest of the world as well. Makes me think that end times must be near.

Stacey said...

Awww ... what a lovely couple you two are! Sounds like a perfect date!

beth said...

wow, sounds fabulous. I would love to do something like that. I'm glad you two were able to get out and enjoy yourselves. I know what you mean, though, it's tough when you realize there are so many, not far away, that are suffering.

girl from florida said...

Your night sounds absolutely amazing... it makes me hungry!

I think it's wonderful that the two of you can enjoy a moment of peace and happiness in the craziness that's going on in this world right now.

Harrods Girl said...

Hi, can you email me ASAP please. You can find my email address on our blog. I would really like to contact you. Thanks!
Love, Harrods Girl

Hannah said...

What a night! That eggplant got my attention. It's a veggie I have grown to love over the last year (I never had eaten it before really). Glad you had a great date!

Isn't it heart-breaking to watch the news these days?

Cecilia said...

Yes, the news is indeed heartbreaking. Although, life must go on....and it does go on. I can only pray that a solution can quickly be found for this, and the government is already hard at work on this (as we also would like to think so).

It's great that you and H had a fun night out. You're both lucky to have so many choices out there. (E and I had a date on Friday evening but just went to ONE resto...Japanese food, major craving...and the Japanese sitting next to us had a big incredulous laugh with the sashimi, maki and tempura plates I had ordered for us...!)....I guess this is what one gets when there is only one resto to go to!

Legos remind me of my childhood. Challenge and creativity go hand in hand with those toys. Hope you both get to work on the water splash!

mommyd said...

What a fun date night. I would like to restaurant hop. We are lucky to just get out to one restaurant a month! Sounds like you and your son are quite the builders.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...