Monday, February 11, 2008

Faux Pas

Justinbustin has been on a cooking rampage lately and I have been enjoying every last tasty morsel. So far he's made blackened chicken, southern fried chicken, honey mustard chicken, strawberry banana muffins, and today he made maple pancakes.

His first batch turned out very... fluffy. Strange, I thought, but I've never made pancakes with maple syrup in them so I dismissed it. They finished cooking, then he served his brother and himself. A few minutes later I hear, "Mom, can you taste these and check if they're bad? They taste very... salty." Oh, no! Laughing to myself I asked him to show me how much salt he used and he shows me how he used the 1/2 cup measuring cup. I took the opportunity to teach him about the properties of salt, how it's used to bring out the flavor and a little goes a looooong way. I let him know anytime a recipe calls for more than a 1/2 teaspoon of salt I still usually only use a 1/2 teaspoon as I can always add more later. Then I reassured we ALL make that mistake once. He got to do his when he was eight.  Trooper that he is he immediately started in on a second batch, which turned out delicious! These one turned out MUCH thinner, almost crepe-like. They were oh so yummy!

The best part of all the cooking is how  his little brother ends up right there cooking with him and he lets him help in every step. I'm so proud of my little chef!

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Great lessons on cooking and learning from mistakes and trying. way to go , Mom! l,b

my life is brilliant said...

Wow! How neat that he's getting so into cooking. Sounds like you're doing a great job of nurturing that hobby!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...