Monday, June 02, 2008

Happy Birthday Mr. Justinbustin!

You are now nine years old. Next year you will be double digits. You are growing so fast. You are growing into a man before my very eyes. I see it in your actions, the responsibilities you take on, the activities you desire to do, the way you interact with your friends, the conversations you have with adults. Every time I look at you, you are doing something more grown up than the last time you did it. You are creating a personality that is your very own. You are not afraid to state what you like or don't like. You face challenges head on and with your cheek to cheek grin. You come to us for advice. You have adult conversations with us about serious subjects - financial security, sex, drugs. You have no shame in asking, and fortunately, after a few very wise parenting classes, we have no shame in telling. Your Daddy is still better at than I am. You had a conversation with him the other night about how he takes care of our family. You asked him about his job, where he works, what he does, why he's not working his second job anymore. These are serious subjects to you, and you realize the importance of them to us. You have your best friend, Lukesters, and you play with him every week. Today you came home telling me how you guys fought with the Narn*a swords and shields his parents bought both you and him for your birthdays. You told me you fought really hard and hurt each other EIGHT times. You told me how fun that was for you and him. I can't relate to that boy stuff. I don't LIKE getting hurt when I'm playing, and I probably never will. But for you, it's a challenge. It's sport, it takes energy, and you enjoy it. The two of you have conversations that make my heart smile. When I took you both to the Trail of Lights in December, you and Lukesters came up with a plot for a movie in the back of the car and designated a meeting place to meet at when you are older so you can make it. Lukesters told you, "I hope we still have a relationship when we are 18." You didn't hesitate when I asked you if you wanted to share your birthday party with him, or when I asked you if you wanted to share a birthday cake with him. You love to be a friend, and when you connect with someone and they can think as far ahead as you do seeing the energy that's created is like watching lightning. I peeked in your journal the other day, and you had a list of things you want to be when you grow up. The ones that I remember were a hunter, a builder, and a cook. There must've been four or five other things on that list, but I don't remember them all. You are like your father in that you are always wondering how well you can do all of it, and knowing you can conquer it all. You are an amazing little man and the apple of my eye. You delight me more and more every day. I can see God working in your life. With the places where I have lacked there is no way you would've turned out so wonderful. He has made you an amazing little man, full of character. He has given you the gift of intelligence, and kindness. I'm sure he has given you many other gifts too, and I will name them when I see them, and hopefully you will recognize them for yourself, but in the meantime, know that I am continually in awe of the man you are becoming. I love you, my little Justinbustin.

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

awww this is so sweet :)

Unknown said...

I cant believe that we are about to have a 10 year old. Oh, i know its another 11 months away... but hey wasnt it just 2 days ago that we had a 2 year old and an infant and been married for about 12 months?

Stace said...

Awe makes me want to cry and kinda makes me wish I was a young mom. . .just maybe not to a 10 yr old, but you got it all taken care of and out of the way you are set now. :)

L said...

Very very sweet. Loved it.

h*dizzle said...

kids grow up sooo fast dont they?

my little bro just graduated from college a few weeks ago...crayzyness! now i know how parents feel when their little ones grow up!

Pink Sun Drops said...

When I read this to him, he corrected me to let me know that he also asked Daddy how much he made, and that his friend, Lukesters, and him hurt each other EIGHTY TWO times, but eight major ones.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...