Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Back in the Groove

For some reason it really helps me to have an ultra-simple outline of what I need to do. If I get too busy filling in the details it overwhelms me and I throw in the towel. With Shawner's school work at home it is one overwhelming detail after another. Some days I print out three pages full of 14 size arial fonts with bullet checkboxes. Most days it's two full pages. All for us to do in ONE day.

Since Christmas it has been increasingly difficult for me to get back on the bandwagon of going down the checklist one by one. I would put it off as looooong as I could until I absolutely HAD to start doing it to get anything done. So yesterday I came up with this schedule:

8am-3pm


8am: Phonograms, Spelling Tunes, Spelling

Break

9:10am: Grammar, Composition

Break

10:10am: History

11:10am: Lunch

12:10pm: Math Facts, Math Quiz

Break

1:10pm: Math Lesson, Math Worksheet

Break

2:10pm: Reading, Science

Done!


Strangely, even as simple as it is, I am freshly renewed. I have a schedule to follow, breaks to look forward to, and an extra long lunch time. Also, everything being done by 3pm. Perfect.


Today we got a late start due to the freeze and consequently Justinbustin's school starting two hours later, but we have been squeezing in phonograms, spelling, grammar, and composition in the empty spaces and it's been working as smooth as a baby's bum.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

That is why I follow a FranklinCovey system. They swear by check marks. Plus, once you write something down, you have the right to forget about it and relax. Make a to-do list the night before and you aren't thinking about it before you fall asleep.

Pink Sun Drops said...

I've read about your profession of love to FC before. Maybe I need to jump on the bandwagon. I use google calendar (heart it), but even that overwhelms me when it gets too full. And by full I mean more than a friend seeing my google calendar and saying "Oh Lord, schedule a nap right there." while pointing to my only empty day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...