Thursday, April 07, 2005

Memories

Last night Hubby and I put the boys to bed. Gave them their baths, said prayers with them, and tucked them in. Then we contemplated me running to the store for ice cream and toothbrushes (mine's strep infected, so I'm paranoid). We looked at each other and realized we could go to the store together. A benefit of living with your parents. So we did.

Him in his Sugar Daddy pajama pants and me in my comfy gauchos - like heck I'm going to the grocery store in my pajama pants! We decided upon super funky toothbrushes for us and an Aladdin one for Little Guy (no other options) who'd used his Clifford one as a toy and fanned out all the bristles.

Dreyer's Natural Homemade Vanilla. Hubby pointed out I had picked out the Safeway brand, the one I had gotten the last few times. No wonder it tasted different. Hubby grabbed condoms, and paid for the 'sex & candy'. And I paid for the toothbrushes. And a magazine with all the fun things to do in California to boot. Oh and ice cream cones for a fun treat for the kids. It's all the same money, he just has a different part of the budget to be responsible for, than I do. I.e. fun "us" and family stuff, clothes, gifts, the house and all the bills. Me? The rest - groceries, household, herbs (yes we actually budget for that), gas for my car, a few others I can't think of right now.

We came home and he scooped himself a huge bowl of ice cream and me a good sized one. I came out of the shower and saw the huge bowl of ice cream with tons of chocolate and thought it was for me and was about to get upset - because he knows I would eat it all, then I saw the smaller bowl and thought to myself how do I ever doubt him. We settled in our comfy bed and watched another episode of Friends. Hubby sighs and says, "This is nice." I asked what? The eating ice cream, or doing what we used to do?

See, back in Texas, we almost always had a half gallon or two of Bluebell, only the best ice cream in the world, around, and every night he was home we'd put the kids to bed and curl up on the couch in our guest room with a big bowl of ice cream and a movie. Now that we've been spoiled by Bluebell nothing else compares, not even Ben & Jerry's (though sue me if you want but I never liked them in the first place). Dreyer's Natural Vanilla does, at least it gives the very illusion of Bluebell. He said doing what we used to do. So we had a night of memories last night. And it was nice.

11 Comments:

Pixy said...

I so envy you! My parents live about 2hours drive from us and it is not often that we get alone time.

island girl said...

awww sounds fun. you guys are so cute

Robin said...

That sounds positively wonderful! My hubby and I always eat a bowl of ice cream while snuggling down to watch a movie. You gave me warm fuzzies! :)

girl from florida said...

I LOVE Bluebell! George Bush Sr. came to our university a few years ago and was talking about how he used to keep it in the freezer for his grandkids (the Bush twins, haha), and he would get soooo mad when they left the freezer opened and it all melted. He was like, I don't care about the meat and anything else in that freezer, but NOT my Bluebell! It was so cute! Shortly after, Florida got Bluebell ice cream and my oh my is it delicious!! I personally love the banana pudding kind.

You and your hubby are SO cute! I love to hear these sweet little stories. They are the best.

maggie said...

ok, I'm salivating now!!!!

Barbara said...

That is so fantastic to hear about couples that are in love. I am happy for you!

Cecilia said...

Bluebell? I think I have heard of it but I don't think I have ever tried it! I'm very curious. The best vanilla-flavored ice cream over here is one by Carte d'Or. I'm salivating just thinking about it now. I usually melt Callebaut Choc chips and use it as topping. hmmm....Well, I wish I can curl up and share it with someone like you do with your hubby. I love this cute story!

cady said...

that's such a sweet story! i love reading your blog!

cady said...

that's such a sweet story! i love reading your blog!

Allison said...

Aww, that was such a great thing to read this morning! Ya'll are too sweet!!

Marcia said...

"paid for the 'sex and candy'" - I love it! Glad you had a sweet night. ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...