Friday, April 08, 2005

Realization

I took Big Guy to his second appointment with his speech lady yesterday. I dropped him off and headed out to the car to deal with insurance. When I picked him up she said she noticed I had worked with him. Slightly confused, I said yes, as in of course. She went on about it for awhile, how he seems to have made a complete 360 turn around, had everything down that she had laid out to work with him on today and was doing amazing. She also seemed blown away that I actually worked with him. I guess most parents don't. Relieved and proud of my little guy I said maybe he just needed a little reminder to watch how he's pronunciating. She agrees that may be the case. When we had gone for his screening she noticed a lot more things than we had realized he needed to work on, I guess not working with somebody for so long had brought back a few of his old habits that we didn't notice. Really I only worked with him two or three times - extensively each time, and I know how much better he does when I work with him at home, on a continual basis as well, but I didn't realize it would make that much of an impact.

It continually amazes me the little amount of time kids need to learn. I understand that they go to school eight hours a day and when you're thinking about home-schooling that is often intimidating because you know there's no way you're going to be spending eight hours a day teaching them. But if you think about it that's because there's often ten to twenty kids a class, and they need that time for each child to get the individual amount of time they need. When I stop and think about that, I feel a little relieved.

Any way, back to Big Guy. We did a memory game with LOTS of cards twice, and worked with a handful of Cheerios on where his tongue should be. That was hard for him at first, but he really got it down and wanted to finish the whole handful. I'm so glad. Now we have a new load of stuff to work with and I can't wait to see what he accomplishes next. I remember his speech lady in Austin always talking about how quickly he picks up things, and I've always known that myself, but sometimes I need a little reminder. This was a big one. The kid loves to learn if somebody will just sit down and teach him. Sometimes I really wonder if all children love to learn like that, the ones that aren't may just be being taught in a way they don't learn or absorb well.

13 Comments:

Robin said...

I really liked reading this story. I homeschool my son right because we knew he would need the one on one for the first few years. It is really awesome to watch him "get it" and see how hard he works to get it. I think you're right; the children that don't love to learn are probably not being taught in a way that makes sense to them. Kids do have different learning styles.

cori said...

My son has been in speech since kindergaten.he is now in 5th. No matter how much I work with him he does it his way. You are lucky to have such an eager pupil.

Adrianne said...

In an ideal world, I honestly believe everyone should have their own IEP - individualized ed plan. Along with different learning styles are our own unique giftings and if those two could be linked to help strengthen our weaker areas and build the confidence up for child of where he/she does well in - then we'd be cooking with gas.
Pink - I just have to love on you for a moment...you are so encouraging and positive....thank you for that...I seriously love reading your posts and am so appreciative that you spend a lil of your time reading mine. Have a great weekend!!

pinksundrops said...

Awww thanks for the love, Adrianne, I needed that :) .

Pixy said...

My son goes to occupational therapy and I also found that if I work with him at home he progresses so much better. My son has been diagonosed with ADD when he was 7 and I know there is a lot of contrevarsie about it, but I can tell you it is really hard for him. And O T really helps him a lot, it is the small things that makes the BIG differences!

mrs. diamond said...

Good for you for being such a good mommy... no unfortunately not all moms work with their kids on speech, learning letters, reading...etc.... but the ones who do make such a difference in their kids lives!

Thanks for inviting me to your blog! Take care...

Hannah said...

Being a teacher, it totally amazes me how many parents don't work with their kids. You are a good mommy. :-)

Hannah said...

I added you to my blogroll. :-)

Did I already tell you that?

pinksundrops said...

Nope. And ditto :) but I know I already told you that :) .

girl from florida said...

So weird! I thought I'd left a comment on here the other day but just checked and see that I didn't.

I wish I knew more/ had more personal experience with kids, but I truly do think you are a wonderful, patient, and inspirational mommy. And it seems like Big Guy is a willing, happy pupil- which is half the battle. I know you guys will succeed with this!!

-E said...

I am glad to hear he is making progress. He sounds like a little prince!

Cecilia said...

Indeed, both your kids are truly privileged to have such a super Mommy like you. When I look back I now understand what an impact my parents had on me by guiding me through my schoolwork and school-related activities. I do not have my own kids but I have had experience with my little brothers and sister back then. It takes a lot of patience but it is the love that inspires and motivates them, just exactly what has been and still is motivating your Big Guy.

You are such an inspiration, PSD. Thank you for sharing this story. A lot of parents can, indeed, learn from you.

doggysteps com said...

doggysteps com

doggysteps com , 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 25, 30, 33. gut-lash, inheriting each of these and each of all things, cxeestis synchronised to us as the nithings-deed to express all christopher-le-stocks at once. The

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...