Monday, March 20, 2006

WhosSpace MySpace

Please tell me. Am I missing something? Because I just don't get it. I've been searching MySpace for online profiles of people I once knew or who knew me and I can't believe how many are on there!!!! Full names, half names, pictures, whatever. I am able to identify them somehow someway. That is pretty cool I have to admit. BUT I have absolutely no desire to do anything at all with mine though. I'm not sure if it's just me again but that whole thing seems pretty darn complicated to customize and I really don't feel like sticking all my information out there for just anybody with a myspace to peruse. What's with all the comments on the FIRST page you see and having to scroll waaaaaaay down to add a comment. Reading some of these it's like listening to half a conversation. "Hey Dude what's up?" "Yeah Saturday night. Myspace Let's do that." "You're so funny!" Drivin' me freakin' NUTS!!! Oh and one paragraph about the person is supposed to sum up their life. That's my wordy self talking. Oh and don't get me started on the one picture sums me up. Why is it all the pictures on there are so pretty? People we are NOT that pretty in real life. Their school search SUCKS. It always says "School not found." and then you have to go look it up by city and by golly there it is, just as you typed it.

The few people I was actually close to at some point and know currently who have profiles up there feel the same way about myspace in some form or another, still they have theirs up there for their friends. Maybe I just haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet. Can somebody out there explain to me the fun in it?

Or maybe I'm blog spoiled. My own personal page, no half ass conversations, no pretty pictures. Just me. Just the way I like it.

A little googling and here's a site that talks a little about a few things I didn't even cover, liked the herding instinct and the friends factor. Oh and the "1996 Internet called and it wants its cliches back." commenting on the bad graphics, font colors, and layouts. Love that line.

And this one just makes me laugh. Okay maybe I should just change the title of this post to the Myspace Hate post, but really that's not what it's intended to be... too much any way :) .

4 Comments:

Allison said...

For me, it has to do with growing up very differently than most. I moved around a lot to very far off places, so the people that lived in those places with me, have unique "bonds" (for lack of better term). I think it also has to do with the ages I was there, which was junior high and high school, which was such fun, care-free times. Anywhoo, those people have always held a special place in my heart, and still to this day, I will have RANDOM dreams with RANDOM people from Singapore in them. When I moved back to the US, the only form of communication was snail mail, and most people are HORRIBLE at communicating that way. So...I lost touch with many of them.

To be able to find these friends again, and see pictures of them all grown up and learn where they are living and where they are working, is fascinating to me. I thought these friends who were so special to me, had just become fond memories. To know that I can communicate with them again is awesome, and to think of the possibility of SEEING them again almost bring tears to my eyes. (which could possibly happen sometime soon!!!)

And all of this was made possible through MySpace.

Also....I can't believe that over the course of just three years, I also was able to lost contact with friends from college because of email changes etc, and again, these are girls that I made fun memories with at sorority formals, spring breaks, etc. So, it is nice to reconnect with them and see where they are, if they are married, etc.

Regarding putting your info on the web...if someone wants your info, they can get it. It doesnt have to be through MySpace. Check out zabasearch.com. It will freak you out. Information is readily available for anyone out there, and it isnt because you are handing it out. I have my location (Dallas, TX) and age on myspace along with pics but thats about it. I dont use it as a blog, and I only "add" people that I know. (and a couple blogging buddies i love!) :-) My blog isn't 100% anonomous, but I dont announce it to everyone, and I am NOT advertising it on my MySpace.

Instead of a novel email, i left you a novel comment this time! hehe

pinksundrops said...

Hey Alli, I loved your comment :) . I pretty much thought that was the neatness factor of it all. I still don't understand how much time people put into them though!!

girl from florida said...

After reading this post, I just spent the past hour surfing myspace. I hadn't gotten into it yet... so it's pretty interesting! I've been wondering what all the hype was.

Stacey said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get MySpace. It all seems so thrown together and ugly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...