Thursday, August 17, 2006

Symphonies, Classical Music, Beethoven, and Long Songs

Brando called blog rights to this, but I'm beating him to it - partially so we don't forget. : ) Tonight on the way home from parent orientation at J's new school (SO excited!) J asked Brando why songs are so short. His answer was that most of them have lyrics and that you can't really write anything meaningful that goes on for some time. Then he explained that symphonies do have long songs and found a radio station that just happened to have a special where they were playing Beethoven. In silence enveloped in music we listened the highs and the lows of one of his masterpieces (and I'm sure Brando could tell you which one). Five minutes later it ended and Brando turned the radio down and asked J if he liked it. J says yes and Brando asked why. J says, "Because it went loud, loud, LOUD, then quiet, quiet, quiet, then loud, loud, LOUD, then more quiet." Having never listened to classical music before that I know of (I know, bad mommy!) I was blown away by his description.

We had had a discussion about him taking music versus art on the way to orientation and I was very adamant that we encourage his passions, his loves, i.e. art, while Brando thinks it would really be beneficial for him to learn about music, kids do better in school when they know music, etc. After listening to the Beethoven music, J pipes up quietly in the back, "I would rather take music than art, Mom." Okay you got me. Then he asks Brando if he can download those songs for his Ipod. Which is why I currently have Septet in E Flat Major playing in the background as I type this.

I turned to Brando and said you just introduced him to symphonies, classical music, and Beethoven on the ride home, how cool is that?

S stayed with M for the evening and was in a goofy mood when we got home. He whispered in my ear, "I farted two times and they [M and her sister] plugged their noses." as he giggled. Later he was in the shower and called me and pointed to the shower and said, "Mom, this is too hot for my tummy." pointing to the shower again, "This is too hot for my tummy." So I turned it colder and he says, "Whew, that's nice."

3 Comments:

Courtney said...

Ha Ha Blog rigfhts!! Love it! :)

And AWESOME that J is into classical music!!! :)

Stacey said...

Music is so important - and it's awesome that your son, at such a young age, can appreciate classical music! Way to go! :) :)

my life is brilliant said...

This is such a cute story! I'm not sure how old he is, but have you thought about piano lessons? Especially if he likes classical music. This could be the perfect time to start! I started taking them in the fourth grade, but I knew a lot of people who started younger. I loved it when I was little.

And someday, when I have a husband and a house, we'll have a piano. I miss it! Good thing K knows how to play, too! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...