Thursday, April 07, 2011

Soul Surfer

Read it.

Terrifying, gripping, inspirational, motivating, and faith building. Written by Bethany Hamilton, a 14 year old, none-the-less, who lost her arm to a shark attack while surfing and now continues on as a competitive surfer. I am looking forward to the movie coming out next week, and wanted to prepare myself for what I realize will be a hard movie to watch. My favorite part of the book, besides her determined faith in God, might be her updated end chapter detailing her journey through creating the movie with her family. Oh, and finding out the majority of the movie was filmed at Turtle Bay Resort, a place Brando and I are quite familiar with. That put a smile on my face.

This is the updated version of her book with actor Anna SophiaRobb, Bethany Hamilton's first choice of actor, and of Bridge to Terabithia and Because of Winn-Dixie fame, who also grew up with and has faith in God as well.
Here is a photo of her original book, with Bethany Hamilton on the cover:
Watch the Soul Surfer official trailer here. I definitely recommend reading the book first. As the preview is already gripping me in tears, the book gives you the background and understanding of what her family and her truly went through, their basis in faith (the movie is spiced up a little, as movies are), and the relationship they built with the actors during the filming of the movie, making it all much closer to heart. The movie, as stated by the director, Sean McNamara, focuses more on the struggle in order for the audience to connect with her, which is an emotional and heart-wrenching aspect I'm looking forward to understanding. Most of all, I look forward to continuing to be inspired by her faith and that of her families -- observing that kind of faith and connection in a family makes me realize the importance of investing every emotional energy into that faith. You can also check out her self-made documentary here.

8 Comments:

Teagan B. Sawyer said...

Honestly, I saw the big cardboard cutout in a theatre and didn't think too much about it except for oh yea that girl who was attacked by a shark has a movie now. I didn't realize she had written a book and how it was inspirational...now I will read and watch the movie too. Thanks for writing about it. I could always use a little more faith. xo

L said...

I just heard about this movie and realized she was a believer. I’m headed to B&N to use up a groupon tonight, so maybe I’ll pick up the book!

Anonymous said...

My girls and I have been patiently waiting for this movie to come out. It looks SO good!

Colleen said...

I was wondering about this book. Now I will definitely be picking it up.

PattyAnn said...

I've been watching her interviews lately and she is so inspiring. I didn't realize she has a book, I'm definitely going to be reading that!

Pink Sun Drops said...

Teagan - Let me know what you think. I didn't mention it, but it was such an easy read as well. She didn't know how to write down her thoughts so she transcribed them to someone who wrote them down, then a few other people helped her organize her thoughts, so it feels like you're just hearing her talk.

L - I didn't realize that she was a believer when I first saw the movie was being made, or when I picked up the book. It was an incredible plus!

Sonya - Heart-wrenchingly!

Colleen - Thanks for leaving a comment! I'd love to hear what you think after you read it.

PattyAnn - I haven't seen any of her interviews. I bet they are just as captivating and intriguing.

cayman77 said...

I wanna see it- I could not put the book down!

The Wonders Of Wandering said...

I really enjoyed the movie. I surf regularly right now as for the past year I have lived in Costa Rica. We don't really have many sharks here, but I am really wondering if I will be able to surf in Santa Cruz when I move home in a few months. I know the chances are so slim...but I could't imagine! Did you like the movie after you read the book? The movie usually doesn't stack up. I will have to check out the book. I would love to share some of my new adventures with you, I just started a new blog at www.thewondersofwandering.com
-Daniella

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...