Wednesday, January 02, 2008

My Grandpa Just Died

My Dad's dad, my first grandpa, died about 7 years ago, just after Justinbustin was born. My Grandma remarried about two years ago, and then divorced a year later. In the time she was married he was the only great grandpa my children knew. The one who let them drive the golf carts completely on their own while sitting on his lap. The one who built miniature towns in his backyard. The one who was absolutely in love with my Grandma. The one who asked me, "So you're my new granddaughter?" The one I asked if I could still call Grandpa after they divorced. Really, I probably spent more time with him than my own Grandpa. Once I was old enough to make my own decisions about who I got to know in my family I had just started to get to know my Dad's dad when he died. Grandpa Rudy had a stroke about a month ago, and was getting better. He had another stroke Christmas Eve, then got pneumonia, and contracted MRSA from the hospital. His body couldn't hold up anymore. I had no idea he was dying.

I am so sad. What will I tell my children when they ask where he is?

1 Comments:

Maxie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...