Tuesday, January 23, 2007

School Days

My view of schooling vs. home-schooling and public vs. private vs. home has changed so much since Justinbustin started going to this two day a week school. Courtney asked me once how I "do all that". Honest to goodness, I didn't do THIS much. I worked on what Justinbustin did best. Math. We worked on his letters, we played chess, we cooked, we did speech, we LIVEd. I wouldn't have it any other way. We knew what he loves, we know how he learns, we know his interests and what they are or aren't and we can be his advocate for that. Not to mention he knew. When he was ready, he was READY. Ready for school. Ready for friends. Ready for an environment where he could learn that how Mommy and Daddy do things isn't the only way they can be done. There's lots of different ways out there and we all have to find what works best for us. Now that J is doing second grade language arts as well I'm thinking it would be nice to send Shawners to the same school next year. Though I find myself wondering if keeping him home a little longer will give him as strong a foothold as Justinbustin had and give myself a guilt trip a tiny bit for wanting to send him off so soon. We do have this year though. He turned five in November, and he is home this year. Funny how it flies by so fast.

Listening to





Jill Phillips
Nobody's Got It All Together

3 Comments:

my life is brilliant said...

I'm glad the scheol is working out well for you all. I'm sure you'll make the right decision with Shawners.

I love all your nicknames!

Pink Sun Drops said...

Speaking of Courtney - she's the one who inspired those nicknames mentioning how cute they were the first time I used them. I had gotten sick of using Big Guy and Little Guy!

a tall sassy gal said...

The nicknames are good and I am glad you are enjoying the home schooling. My mom had thought about that once with us and then she thought we would never listen to her. hahaha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...