Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Wish of the Wash

Why is it that when you're getting ready to move and have a ton of things on your plate that it is so hard to get together with all those friends you so desperately want to say good-bye to one last time?

Ha. I just answered my own question.

Ton of things on my plate and they're still living their lives equals not a whole lot of flexibility.

Sigh. I wish I could be more flexible or not have so much on my own plate but that's just not reality. I'll only end up stressing myself and my family out. And right now the most important thing for us is to stay calm : ) . So here's sending out my prayer that I will be able to get together with those that mean the most to me and stay in touch with them.

It's strange because I REALLY made an effort to stay in touch with those back in Texas because one, they mean a lot to me, and two, I knew I was moving back and didn't want to lose contact or my level of closeness with them. I don't know how it's going to work staying in touch with those I have met here. I know I'm not going to be back for a long time, if at all except for vacations, and those are usually short and jam-packed.

What is the best way you've found to stay in touch with those long distance friends you know you may never live near again? An occasional phone call, an email? Usually I find email separates even further. It's just too easy not to email. And the phone is so much more personal. But maybe it's worked for some? Also I'm not too public about my blog, I just don't want famiy reading my personal ins and outs for various reasons, but has anybody found that sharing your blog (and maybe discovering they have one as well) is a good way to stay in touch?

8 Comments:

Alyssa said...

Blog is a great way to stay in touch with friends! In fact now when I call my firends who live far away and tell them what we have been up to they say, "I know I read your blog!" I have always been an open book therefore have no problem who reads my blog. All of my family reads it, and I recently found out the pastors from my last church are reading it, which is a little wierd because I tend to give a little too much info some times. But they know how I write and are reading at their own risk I guess. Also a great way to stay in touch is msn or yahoo messanger. I chat with my friends all over the world that way and it is lots of fun. In fact we even go shopping online togeather. While we are on msn chatting we pull up Gap or one of our other favorite stores and look for good finds then we copy and paste it to each other for their opinion and add it to our cart. All I can say is thatnk goodness for computers!

Allison said...

I keep in touch by email with a lot of people, but I do think it is impersonal. Phone calls are good too and much more personal, but you both have to be free at same time to chat and catch up. Snail mail is awesome but such an effort these days. Only a few people I know, know about my blog. I do, though, know lots of people who use blog to keep up with friends and family and LOVE it for that purpose.

Heather said...

I am just like you and try to do everything!!!

Laura said...

Sounds like you love having relationship with lots of people. I'm the same way and as I've gotten busier and my friends have gotten married, etc, it's been hard for me to not be able to talk to them as much and/or get together. I've had to just realize I can only stay close with a few people. I think blogging is a great way to stay in touch. I wish all my friends would blog!

pinksundrops said...

Hehe these comments crack me up. I am SO not a try and do everything kind of gal, or know a ton of people kind of gal either. I just try and do what I can and keep the friendships that have somehow by way of divine intervention have come to me! Just because I happen to be divided between two states doesn't mean I have lots of friends. Just a few in each state that I am desperate to hang onto :) !

I'm glad to hear such a positive note about blogging being such a great way to stay in touch. I've already given the address out to one friend and will possibly continue to do so as I see fit. Thanks for all the suggestions!

beth said...

also, be patient with people, they may not stay in touch as often as you would like, but when they do, catch up and enjoy each other's company!

girl from florida said...

I don't share my blog... I used to have a family/friends blog that I just copied/pasted my "safe" posts but then found that the readers STILL expected long personal emails/phone calls and that was REALLY frustrating to me. But I think in your situation, it may be OK to share with some friends... or maybe have a "safe" blog too? I don't know the best option. I've found I've had to kind of pick and choose who to stay close with... you only have so much time in the day! xoxo

pinksundrops said...

That's true, GFF. The three that I was closest with in Texas I have continually called at least once a month and stayed in touch with. There were others that I only just knew and our relationship wasn't established enough yet to stay the distance.

Out here there are one or two I think I may stay in touch with via phone and a few others I might try to stay in contact with via email, as well as my family of course :D - I don't have a problem staying in touch with them with all the phone time we do!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...