Friday, January 14, 2005

Single Date

Wednesday I needed a date. A serious date. The evening started out with me putting a pot of water on the stove to make pasta and pesto for a family dinner. Hubby came home soon afterward and made some comment, not about the food, but about something, I don't even remember what. That was it, I gathered my keys and jacket and was out the door in two minutes flat.

It's been awhile since I had a date and I needed one and I was going to get one, if I had to do it myself. So I did.

I took myself to my most favorite restaurant in the entire world. I ordered a bowl of Walla Walla Onion Soup and a Peach Iced Tea and sat back and enjoyed the crackling fire and the sweet family next to me with their peanut sized baby. Their walls are decorated with clocks that open up, move, play the piano, or in some other form does something extra special on the hour. The first clock is set 20 minutes ahead of the last one, so you have time to watch each one individually. I came at the very end of the cycle but just in time to watch my favorite pink clock that opens up into a flower chime the hour.

After such a pleasant dinner I thought I should take myself to a movie, one I've been wanting to see for quite awhile. I took myself downtown to check out the movie times and found my movie started at 8pm. Of course I had to go shopping to fill the time. I went to a few stores that I have gift certificates for from Christmas, but decided I want to wait for their spring apparel to fully come in before I buy.

At the second store I did run into a friend that I went to school with way back when we were teeny tiny. Her Mom taught at the school and she was the school kindergarten sweetheart Hubby had said, so what were you? The first grade sweetheart? Isn't he just a sweetie pie : ) ?

I had seen her there before and said hi the other day, so I stopped to chat. We talked about home, work, and school, and she mentioned she worked 11-8pm each day so she still had time for somewhat of a night. We said our good-byes and I continued on my way.

After a few more stores I realized it still wasn't quite time for my movie and then I thought well who says I should have to see a movie alone? Why don't I invite Sweet Girl? So, after a few self-convincing talks that it would be no problem if she already had plans, I was planning to go see it by myself in the first place any way, I did.

And you know what? She said, "Sure, I'd love to." So I went and got our tickets and a Starbucks and came back by to walk with her. She closed up shop and walked down with me. When we got there she went to get into line to buy her ticket and I produced my already bought tickets and said, "My treat." She said thank you, you didn't have to, of course, but then so sweetly said well let me get you something to eat. I held up my Starbucks and my bottled water and said you go ahead. She said no she didn't want any she was just trying to pay me back. She's still a sweetheart!

We watched our movie (please tell me he so looks like Val Kilmer in that shot) and were equally shocked and apalled that no one had told us the guy was CRAZY. Literally, crazy. So maybe we don't know our history. Someone should have warned us!

What may have been even crazier was as we left the theatre there was a man sleeping halfway across the door. We walk out of the theatre and I tell the girl at the food counter,

Me: Um, there's a man sleeping in the back on the floor.
Her, without skipping a beat: Oh boy.
Me: Yeah. So. Have fun with that.

That's Santa Cruz for you. Gorgeous and very, very strange at the same time. After all that Sweet Girl and I chatted a bit more, said our good-byes and I returned home a happy woman.

0 Comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...